Friday, August 3, 2012

I'm back!!!


And blogging from a Starbucks today, which I’m a bit ashamed of. When I moved to Spain I made a deal with myself that I would avoid American places as much as I could. And I was going pretty strong until today, but it’s about 95 degrees outside and about 105 degrees in my house,  and Starby’s is airconditioned AND has wi-fi. So that’s my excuse.

I know I’ve really been slacking on posts lately for the last month, but I have a good excuse. I spent the month of July teaching English at a summer camp about an hour and half south of Madrid. I really should say “teaching English” but that’s another story. Now, for those of you who know me well, you know this was challenging. I’m not really very good with kids. BUT, I can happily say that overall it was a good experience, and I had way more fun teaching kids than I thought I would. I had some really sweet kids in my class, and I’ve officially decided that Spanish kids speaking in English is one of the cutest things in the world.

The camp was like a mini-farm. There were deer, chickens, sheep, horses, geese, a ram, and even a peacock. I only had class for 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon so I spent a lot of time lounging at the pool working on my tan. And as far as the classes went, it was more like playing games in English. I was there for 2 two-week camps, and on the last day of each session all the parents came to pick up their kids and the kids put on a presentation for the parents that was organized by the English teachers. My seniors (13-14 years old) the second session decided to sing “Payphone” by Maroon 5, and they memorized every.single.word. Which meant we I had to listen to it about 60 times so they could practice. I never want to hear that song again. I also choreographed a pretty awesome dance to the Beach Boys “Surfin’ Safari” for my 8 year olds the first session.  

I’ve been back in Madrid since last Saturday night, and I’ve just been catching up on sleep, doing laundry, and trying not to die from heat stroke.  I’ve lived in hot places before, but here in the city it is just miserable. I have the rest of the month off from work and I’m in the process of planning a little vaca for myself, details to come :) 

beautiful sunsets every night

my "classroom"

the pueblo of Cuerva

Happy Friday!

No comments: