Thursday, January 12, 2012

My first day in Spain

I survived the flight from Dublin and made it my hostel in Madrid with no real problems. Yesterday was my first full day here and I was lucky enough to get to meet up with a girl who took the same TEFL certification class as I did, and she invited me to tag along with her group and tour the city. Our first stop was the Plaza Mayor, one of Madrid's many plazas. I only got one picture, as there were many creepy characters lurking around trying to get photos with tourists (Minnie Mouse and Patrick the Starfish from Sponge Bob... he looked like he was drunk).

King Philip III, sculpted in 1616


Our next stop was the Palacio Real de Madrid. We weren't allowed to take photos inside, but it was beautiful. I've never seen so much gold in my life, even the curtains had a gold trim and there were at least 10 gigantic crystal chandeliers. There was even a room that had walls and a ceiling made entirely from porcelain.




Our last stop of the day was the Almudena Cathedral, which is next to the Palace. Construction on the cathedral began in 1879. It was built because when the capitol of Spain moved from Toledo to Madrid, there was no cathedral in Madrid.



Other than that, the weather is wonderful and food is amazing! Today we're going to the Museo Prado and possibly la Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas. There aren't any bullfights going on (it's not bull fighting season - who knew there was a season?) but you can tour the arena and it's supposed to be beautiful. 

Oh and the highlight of my day was that I managed to use Spanish to find a department store and purchase a hairdryer! And a lady on the street asked us for directions, we already blend in like locals :)

Besos! xoxo

1 comment:

Cara said...

I could see you waltzing in and saying:

"DONDE ESTAS LOS HAIRDRYERS?!"