Friday, January 6, 2012

M-o-n-t-a-n-a

When I tell people I'm from Montana there are a few different reactions I've come to expect. Most people say something along the lines of "Oh my gosh, I love Montana! It's so beautiful!" or "Wow, how neat" or "Where is Montana?" But the thing is, Montana actually is a really amazing place. Not only is the scenery absolutely breathtaking, there is a lot of American history rooted here.

My out-of-town guest gave me a great excuse to do some local sightseeing. Located just an hour from my house is the first recorded observation of Captain William Clark's (of Lewis and Clark, I really hope you all knew that) signature, and is the only remaining physical evidence found along the route that was followed by the Lewis and Clark expedition. On July 25th, 1806, Clark carved his signature into the sandstone butte on the bank of the Yellowstone River that is now know as Pompey's Pillar, named in honor of Sacagawea's son (she was an Indian guide and interpreter for the expedition). 

Pompey's Pillar
plaque

signature...duh
view from the top (Yellowstone River)
view from the top
view from the top

And when we got home we were treated to this amazing sunset...





... I love Montana

No comments: