Thursday, January 19, 2012

Granada...

A few days ago I was in Granada. Everyone I've talked to and everything I've read has said that Granada is ah-maz-ing and that I'd love it... well....

I didn't LOVE it. But I'll go back and give it another chance. The weather was terrible when I was there, cold and rainy, and my rain boots didn't make the cut when I was packing so my poor little Steve Maddens are very water-logged right now. For those of you that don't know, I really really REALLY dislike rain. I can handle snow, but rain and I do not mix. Granada is a really amazing city though, it's full of so much history and tons of tapas bars where you get a free tapa (small plate of delicious treats) with a bebida (drink). I think that tapas are quite possibly the best invention ever and America should adopt them. And it's not like at Mexican restaurants where you get chips and salsa, you get actual dishes here... that are incredibly delicious. And a few count as your meal, and with 3 drinks only costs 6 euro (about $7).


We also went to a Flamenco show, which originated in Andalusia (the southern region of Spain), as a song and dance of the local Romani people (Gypsies). The show we saw included a guitar player, a singer, and a dancer. Even though I didn't understand a single word they sang, I really enjoyed it. 

The big thing to see in Granada is the Alhambra, which is an old palace/fortress originally built by the Moors. It's massive and can take up to 6 hours to tour it all. Unfortunately it was raining the day we went so we only stayed an hour, and I'm pretty sure I almost lost a toe or two to frostbite. It was very interesting though, and I definitely want to go back in the warmer months so I can spend the allotted 5-6 hours touring the grounds and get my 15 euro worth...
I apologize for the terrible picture... it was terrible weather. This place is much prettier, I promise

Here are a few more photos of Granada. More to come... in warmer months :)

view from the Alhambra 


Buenas noches a mis amigos!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your photos are all so beautiful thanks for sharing!!