Thursday, September 20, 2012

word.

just taking pics of myself walking around Madrid

I thought it might be fun to start doing a weekly or bi-weekly post about how my Spanish is coming along and all the dumb mistakes I make (there are plenty to choose from...) and I thought today would be a good day to start! One of my Spanish friends told me that when he was learning Catalan he downloaded a bunch of Catalan songs and then downloaded and saved the lyrics so he could listen to and memorize the songs during his commute. Soooo I decided to try it, and I've been listening to A LOT of Juanes lately. I really like him, and his songs are slower than say Pitbull, so it's much easier to keep up and hear the pronunciation. Here is a list of some of the words/phrases I've learned lately, favorite words/sayings, and mistakes.

new words/phrases
1- cachas = muscular; el esta cachas
2- horquilla = bobby pin
3- poner los cuernos = to put the horns (literal), and is used when a boyfriend or girlfriend is unfaithful; no me pongas los cuernos = don't cheat on me
4- envidioso/a = envious; estas envidiosa!
5- maja = nice, pleasant

favorite words/phrases
1- por supuesto = of course
2- todavia = yet 
3- me caes bien = you fall well with me (literal), you would say this to someone you just met and they seem nice to you, you like them
4- que/vaya cara! or que cara tienes! = the nerve!
5- si... = obviously means yes but also means if. for some reason I love using it; si quieres = if you want

mistakes
1- on Tuesday I couldn't remember how to say the number 9 (nueve). Are you kidding me?!
2- llena. this means full, so after a big meal I want to say estoy llena, but I can't get the pronunciation right so it sounds like I'm saying estoy hiena, which means hyena. The pronunciation is a bitch!

This is by far one of my favorite Juanes songs, mostly because I actually understand everything he's singing AND I understand it. But I think my roommates are getting sick of hearing it. 




No comments: