Monday, September 10, 2012

my new favorite city

I fell head over heels in love with Lisbon (and most of the Portuguese guys I met!). Madrid has an energy that's hard to describe, but Lisbon just has this charm. First of all Lisbon is on the coast, the Tagus River meets the Atlantic Ocean in Lisbon, so there are incredible lookout points scattered all over the city. It's also a city built on a bunch of hills so talk about booty sculpting! Every street is different, and I really think I could have spent hours wandering up and down the streets looking at all the little shops and bars and cafes and street art. And of course there's the people. Obviously they don't speak Spanish there, and for me, Portuguese was really really difficult to pick up. I could understand most of the signs and could say hello, please, and thank you, but everyone was so friendly and most of the people I interacted with spoke English as well. Lisbon is one of the oldest cities in Europe, but doesn't get as much tourism as Paris, London, Barcelona, Rome, etc, and because of that, it's still a super affordable place to visit. If anyone wants to come visit me in Madrid for a week we can take a weekend trip to Lisboa :)

view from one of the lookouts (miradouro)




the oldest part of the city

oldest part of the city



main plaza ( Praça do Comércio)




street art

No comments: