Friday, September 14, 2012

just like riding a bike?

Like I mentioned yesterday, my number one priority this fall is improving my Spanish. And let me tell you, it is hard! Everyone always says kids have the easiest time learning a language, and it's true, I've seen it happening, they are little sponges, and they pick up the accent so easily too! I took Spanish all 4 years in high school and my first year at college but then stopped taking classes since I wasn't planning on minoring or majoring in it. After that I'm pretty sure the only time I used or needed to use Spanish was spring break 2006, in Acapulco. I remember a pretty great conversation with the hotel staff when our bathtub was flooding and then some wonderful heart-to-hearts with the cab drivers at 5am. But you know what they say, if you don't use it you lost it. And I lost it, most of it. I'm happy to report that 8 months in I can have successful conversations at restaurants, bars, shops, the bank, and with directions. I still have a loooooong way to go though. I want to flirt with cute Spanish guys, hang out with a group of Spanish people and participate in the convo, talk to the sweet 87 year old woman who lives below us, eavesdrop on the metro, and of course, put fluency on my resume!

via





2 comments:

Cara said...

This is all you need to know:

Hola. Me llama Jessica. Necesito una margarita right now, bitches!

Nicole Marie said...

me too!!! i have way way more work than you as i still can only say about 1 sentence to people. i'm really really trying though