Thursday, April 19, 2012

Homemade Hummus

One of the things I miss about the U.S. is Trader Joe's. Specifically the cilantro-jalapeno hummus. So I decided to take matters into my own hands. I looked up a few different recipes for hummus and created my own. I just put garbanzo beans, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon, and hot sauce into a food processor and mixed it all together until it tasted right. Disclosure: I made another batch about a week ago and put wayyyy too much garlic in it and it was pretty terrible potent. So be careful. This is what I used yesterday:


1 jar cooked garbanzo beans, rinsed
1 clove garlic
olive oil (I eye-balled it)
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
a few shakes of cayenne pepper
a few squeezes of lemon juice
hot sauce to taste

Blend together in a food processor and voila! Serve with veggies, pita bread/chips, or on toast :)

it tastes better than it looks, i promise

Up next, sun-dried tomato hummus!

ps- I cook more here than I did in Sacramento... weird

3 comments:

Cara said...

i do not like hummus (because i do not like beans) but i know how much YOU love it.

Taryn said...

you succeeded! so proud of my little homemaker :) and totally stealing your recipe if i ever get a food processor

Jeanelle said...

I miss Trader Joes SO MUCH... they had the best weeknight frozen meals. And hummus and pesto and tomato sauce and wine... gaaah!