Tuesday, January 22, 2013

zucchini, black bean, and rice skillet

It's no secret that I'm not a gourmet cook. And with dinner time happening around 10pm and teaching until 9pm three nights a week I'm always on the look out for easy things I can make in advance and make a lot of so I can just heat it up when I get home. I pinned this recipe a while ago and after taking a look in my fridge the other day decided to give it a shot. I ended up adding a lot of extra things to mine (red and yellow bell peppers, corn, jalapenos, substituted brown rice, cumin, garlic, and added diced tomatoes at the end instead of the fire roasted kind) and then dressed it with hot sauce. It turned out really good! I ate it over lettuce to try and make myself feel like I was eating a Chipotle burrito bowl. The next time I make it I think I'll use it as a filling for stuffed peppers. This and variations of this will definitely be a staple from now on, it was one of the easiest things I've ever made!




Zucchini, BlackBean and Rice Skillet - ReadySetEat
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon Pure Wesson® Canola Oil
1-1/2 cups quartered lengthwise, sliced zucchini
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1 can (15 oz each) Rosarita® Premium Whole Black Beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Garlic, undrained
3/4 cup water
1 cup instant white rice
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
Directions
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and bell pepper; cook 5 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Add beans, undrained tomatoes and water. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
2. Add rice; stir well. Cover; remove from heat and let stand 7 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cheese.

No comments: