Thursday, November 29, 2012

recent reads


I was worried with my schedule change I'd have less time for reading, since I wouldn't be spending as much time in the metro, but luckily it hasn't been a problem! I've read some pretty good books since the last time I did a post like this.

This book tells the story of five different women who are brought together during WWII. The book begins with them meeting fifty years later to share their story and also solve a mystery. The characters are really well-developed and the bonds they form are so believable. There were also some great twists I didn't see coming. 

Apparently I was really on a WWII kick this summer... I really enjoyed this book! It also takes place on the island of Guernsey during the German occupation. The main character is taking care of her two daughters and her mother-in-law while her husband is off fighting. She ends up developing a relationship with a German solider who is living in the house next to hers, even though she knows it could be dangerous. An easy book to read, and I liked it a lot. 

I know this book has been out for a while, but I'd never read it. This was also a super quick read but so well-written. The narrator is 15 year old autistic boy who discovers his neighbor's dog is dead and decides to find the killer. 

No, I'm not proud of this and no, I don't recommend it. But everyone and their mother was talking about this book, so I had to read it. I hate being left out of the loop. This book series was ridiculous, and I can't believe they're making it into a movie. But, just like the Twilight movies, I'm sure I'll give in and watch it. And the hate myself. 

I recently re-read this (I think I read it in high school the first time.. maybe) because a friend said I should read it again as an adult. While I did understand the messages more this time around, I still didn't care for it. I think it's more the style it's written in that's not for me, but I can see why it's regarded as such a phenomenal book.

Yes, this is a children's book. A student gave this to me as a gift since it's written in Spanish. Well, it's actually a French book but has been translated to Spanish and is really popular here. It was a really sweet story and great for someone trying to improve their Spanish!



1 comment:

Nicole Marie said...

going to go get el principito! need to work on my spanish badly! and harry potter is just way too difficult for me