Wednesday, June 6, 2012

wine tasting, Madrid style

It shouldn't come as much of a surprise that one of things I miss the most about living in California is the close proximity to tons of wineries and places to go wine tasting. Within a maximum driving time of 2 hours I could hit up Napa Valley, Sonoma, the Apple Hill area, and small tasting rooms outside Sacramento. Yes, it was a very wonderful two years I spent there...

napa <3

apple hill

girls' day at the old sugar mill

And there are definitely days when I miss zins and cabernets and the tried and true favorites I could pick up at Safeway... but now I'm living in SPAIN! Land of red wine. And let me tell you, it has not disappointed.

Last Saturday I went to this thing called Dia de Mercado here in Madrid, and they have wine tasting and a farmer's market and lots of goodies to sample. For €1 you get a wine glass (that you can keep) and can sample as many wines as the vendors will allow. There were small wineries from all over the area there and the prices were great. I also got to sample olives, olive oil, pastries, anchovies, and grilled veggies. The sun was out and it wasn't too too hot, so it made for a perfect afternoon. It's held the first Saturday of the month, so this will definitely not be my only Dia de Mercado. I apologize for the lack of photos, I was a little preoccupied with trying fantastic wine and felt super-touristy. 


the group

loved this winery


The night ended with a birthday dinner in celebration of my friend Erin!! It was a pretty great day


salud!

1 comment:

Cara said...

Looks like such a fun day!! I love wine and miss CA wine too.