Monday, June 11, 2012

Euro 2012

For the next 3 weeks all anyone in Madrid will be talking about is the Euro. It's a European football tournament between 16 countries and is held every 4 years. Growing up in Montana I never got into soccer, and that didn't change in Colorado or California. I wasn't allowed to play as a kid (long story) and have never really found it that entertaining. But I am living in Europe now, I'm really making an effort to immerse myself in the culture, and a huge part of that is football. Luckily it's not difficult to become a fan. Between my students, friends, and roommate, I have learned a lot about the Madrid teams and other Spanish teams. I still don't understand the rules of the game, but I really do like watching it. The games are short and the men are incredibly good looking and talented.

for example: the Spanish national team. number 19 is my favorite.

via

Their first game was yesterday against Italy and it ended in a draw. Up next they play Ireland. Spain is the current European and World champion so hopefully they will defend their title! The energy is pretty incredible though, and I'm really glad I get to be here for all the excitement!

TOMA!!


No comments: