Thursday, June 7, 2012

gigantes y cabezudos

I know a while back in May I mentioned that Madrid was gearing up for yet another festival/holiday... la feria de San Isidro. San Isidro is the patron saint of Madrid, and is celebrated every May with parades, parties, food, and fireworks. The first day of la feria was a Friday and it started with the pasacalles de gigantes y cabezudos (parade of the giants and their entourage). I really wasn't sure what to expect, but it was definitely a cool thing to see. There were two different groups of gigantes y cabezudos, the troupe from Madrid and also a troupe from Zaragoza so I had the opportunity to hear traditional music and see traditional dance from both cities. Each of the gigantes had a man inside of it carrying it around, and it was about 90 degrees that day so I know they must have been dying inside their costumes. I hope these pictures do it justice!

gigantes dancing



cabezudos

cabezudos dancing

dancing



I also managed to take a video of the gigantes from Madrid dancing.


One of the best things about living in another country is getting to experience the culture and celebrations first hand, and I'm so thankful that I got to see this. More to come from the week!

1 comment:

Cara said...

Oh how fun! And creepy at the same time. Ha!