Monday, July 29, 2013

recent reads

via

Even though I haven't been blogging lately, I have been reading. A lot! I've been trying to read a few "classics" as well, I feel like I'm at the age where I should have read a few famous authors by now. Here's what I've read lately:

I re-read this one because I was really wanted to see the movie when it came out. Still a great book, and I actually liked the movie a lot too. I heard it didn't get great reviews, but I love Leo and I thought all the casting was perfect, as well as the music!

I read this because everyone was talking about it. Overall I liked it and I could not put it down! I heard it's being made into a movie, but I'm not sure how I feel about that. 

I was a huge fan of the Chelsea Handler books, but this one by Mindy Kaling is an even funnier, cleaner memoir of sorts. So freaking funny! I made the mistake of reading it during my daily commutes, and I'm sure the other people on the bus thought I was a crazy person because there were times when I could not stop laughing. Her TV show, The Mindy Project, is also hilarious. 

I heard about this book from some fellow ex-pats in Madrid and decided to read it because I thought it was mostly about the horrible train bombing that happened in Madrid back in 2004. While the book did shed some light about what it was like days following the attack, the focus was more about this crazy American guy who is living in Madrid trying to figure his life out when the bombing happens. This wasn't the type of book I typically like, so I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. 

One of Hemingway's most popular books, it's a love story that takes place during World War I between an American serving in the Italian Army and a British nurse. I read this while I was waiting on another book to become available at the library. I found this easier to read than For Whom the Bell Tolls (maybe because it's shorter) and I would recommend it. 

I saw this on the bestsellers shelf at the library so I checked it out. I really liked it too! It's kind of a coming-of-age book narrated by a young girl whose family owns a horse ranch in Colorado. It wasn't a funny book, or a romance, but just overall a good book about life. Definitely recommend this one. 

The main reason I wanted to read this is because it's set in Spain not far outside of Madrid, so I thought it would be cool to read about places I've been. It's about an American, who is coincidentally from Montana, who specializes in explosives and begins working with an antifascist group in the mountains outside of Madrid during the Spanish Civil War. It also has a love story line. It was a little hard to get through, because it was long and at times a little boring, but I'm glad I read it. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for some good summer books? I'm reading The Ambassador's Daughter right now and it's a little slow to get into but hopefully it'll pick up.

Happy Monday everyone!




2 comments:

Cara said...

you should add "Room" and Amanda Knox' book. AMAZING.

Sara Louise said...

The Ambassador's Daughter sounds good!
Right now I'm reading Paris by Edward Rutherford, it's a big historical fiction and I'm loving it :)