Monday, December 31, 2012

Nochevieja

 puerta del sol, via
Another year has come and gone, and I can hardly believe it. I feels like just yesterday I was ringing in 2012 in my grandparents' driveway and tonight I'll be welcoming 2013 in Spain. Madrid is known for it's parties, and La Nochevieja (the old night) is no exception. In the US we have the ball drop in Times Square, in Madrid people gather in Puerta del Sol, the center of the city, to wait for the countdown. The tradition in Spain is to eat 12 grapes, one grape per chime, when the clocks strikes 12. And if you successfully eat all your grapes on time you will be prosperous and have good luck in the new year. The other tradition here is to wear new red underwear, which will also bring you good luck. My roommate told me that on the 1st you then have to burn the underwear, but I'm not crazy about the idea of burning brand new undies. I will not be eating my grapes in Sol with the masses, but having dinner and drinks and friend's bar which promises to be much more low-key. I hope everyone has a fun and safe NYE and see you all in 2013!




No comments: